Friday, January 6, 2012

New York Is Small & Awesome

Within a five block walk, I ran into one of my former Kaplan students (who just told me he got a 1700 (!!) on his most recent exam, though he took his first diagnostic test before my class and had scored 1100... that's an incredible increase, and he speaks French as his first language! I also saw David Duchovny and Tea Lioni (who is aging oh so gracefully), and managed to pay all my bills (yikes) before the grace period was up.

As a random side note, I love New York City cab drivers. While they drive like loons, they also gift me with inspiration, support, adrenaline rushes and/or rogue history lessons without fail. The gentleman who took me home from JFK last night was blaring this loud reggae-sounding music with French lyrics (turned out to be "copa," which is a style of Creole music from Haiti). Of course I started an onslaught when I inquired about the music. Over the next forty minutes I got a tidy little history lesson about Haitian revolutionaries (evidently parts of Louisiana were sold to a Haitian man who helped the United States fight their revolution against the British?), not to mention the Black Jacobins, the Haitians who rebelled against Giuliani in New York, Haitian versions of bombs and all that jazz. Very fascinating stuff.

He also had the most amazing laugh. New York, why are you so awesome? (Probably because I don't start working again until Sunday... eep!)

Hugs and love,

A Broadway Baby




No comments:

Post a Comment