Sunday, January 8, 2012

City Magic

So after an amazing 60 degree brunch outside with the lovely Hannah, I went to Lincoln Center cinemas in midtown  New York and bought tickets for my friend James and I to see Iron Lady with Meryl Streep. He was hungry, and I was always game for more food and beverages, so we grabbed a bite at the heart warmingly organic Le Pan Quotidian.

It was 615 when we asked for the check, and James and I initially thought we'd go around the corner and adventure in the Bed Bath and Beyond. But then, at the last minute, something compelled me to go to the Met Opera store and play around with the opera glasses and china ware.

Get this. I've been gushing to everyone who will lend me half an ear about the upcoming production of "Enchanted Island" at the Met Opera, which stars Placido Domingo in an almost cameo role as sea god Neptune (can anyone believe he's never actually played a God before??!? with THAT voice?!) 

Anyway, James and I came across one of the advertising posters for the new opera in the lobby, and I began extolling the virtues of this brand new production. I guess I must have been loud, because one of the security guards (Joe!!) came over and asked us if we wanted to see the show that night. I was like "How are you going to do that?!" And Joe was like, "Do you want to go or not!?" James and I looked at each other, paused for maybe half a second, and were like 'uh... YEAH!" 

And then do you know what happened? The security guard reached inside his jacket and pulled out two, complimentary ORCHESTRA CENTER tickets for that night, the OPENING night of Enchanted Island!! I couldn't believe it! James couldn't believe it! We had just enough time for James to go home and change so we raced up to Harlem to get my date feeling sexy.

That kind of city magic you just can't make up.

I love you, New York!

And also, everyone in New York must go see Enchanted Island. It was my friend James' first opera, but he and I were both LOVING that Opera can be surprisingly and genuinely comical. Like, laugh out loud funny! Who knew?

Off to bed before I go to Anything Goes auditions tomorrow! Here's hoping for good vibes from the universe, please and thank you.

Lots of love,

A Broadway Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment