Monday, January 9, 2012

ANYTHING GOES!

Auditioning season is here again! Wow do I feel it (in energy, not to mention in my feet and joints, haha)!

And it's like I never left. Cattle calls a plenty with several hundred girls, nails breaking, dance rooms fogging up from body heat, leotards feeling a BIT too tight after the holiday season. Here's one fifth of the girls in the callback line at Anything Goes:




The first big new musical of the year (a Flashdance reiteration for the stage) held an audition this morning, but of course did not see any dancers who were not members of the union (street slang for that is the noun: non-equity). Basically it was a lucky judgment call I made to get up early and go to work instead of trying to be seen at Flashdance.

In addition to Flashdance, the Broadway hit revival Anything Goes was also auditioning this afternoon. When the production team for AG first came into town, I got through a few cuts to dance in front of Kathleen Marshall (Director and Choreographer) herself! Now that they're casting the First National Broadway Tour, I was lucky to get through one of the biggest casting hurdles: the mysterious realm of "type."

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this blog, "type" is this nebulous concept whereby different casting directors and casting teams are looking for certain aspects of an individual at an audition. Those aspects can be anything from

  • Height
  • Hair color
  • body shape
  • measurements (if you need to fit into a costume that's already been made)
  • whether they've worked with you before
  • if they know who you are
  • and lastly, skill level
I'm SO grateful to have been able to dance again for the people casting the AG tour, because I am so into period musicals and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to work with/near anything associated with Sutton Foster. Here's crossing fingers someone wakes up one day and decides to give me a call!

No comments:

Post a Comment