Monday, March 21, 2011

What I did for love

First day of spring and it's snowing here in New York.

My Friday love affair with 70 degree weather has ended with an incredibly cold shoulder.

Probably in part because of the gray mist lacing my windows, today I feel bummed out about the fact that I am still having difficulty dancing without pain. It's been a challenge to accept that the jobs that were only intended for my survival now consume the most time and energy out of my life.

Floor barre is making things easier, but the motivated and inspiring people in my life are the true reason that these past few months have been bearable. My heart goes out to my ladies who are always game for wine night and girly TV, Thai Market runs, and cooking dinner instead of going out. Cheers to the men who bring me food and share my ice cream.

I am so proud of my friends, who go out day after day and sing or dance their little hearts out, but have yet to land the job they dream of. Rejection is a very real truth in this industry. You may hear 100 no's before you get your first yes, but you have to keep going out there, despite the adversity you face. This week shall henceforth be the week of singing calls. Get 'er done.

Despite the struggles and the frustration and the pain, the promise of that eventual yes plus the strength and support of my closest friends give me the fortitude to keep pushing forward.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking of Siddhartha. Remember when Kamaswami asked, "... And what is it now that you've got to give? What is it that you've learned, what you're able to do?" And Siddhartha answered, "I can think. I can wait. I can fast." Kamaswami was puzzled. "That's everything?" And Siddhartha replied, "I believe, that's everything!"
    Take heart. You have many talents, and you too will find a way to succeed.

    ReplyDelete