Monday, March 28, 2011

Met Opera Audition - Supernumerary to the Rescue!

I'm still vibrating with nervy excitement after my Don Giovanni audition for Tony award-winning director Michael Grandage in the bowels of the Metropolitan Opera House.

I felt very profesh, walking right up to the Metropolitan Opera stage door - they announced my name and had someone come to chaperone me and everything! On my way down the spiraling staircases, I passed two massive timpani drums, an antique looking set of leather luggage with J. Levine inscribed on it, a tech rehearsal of Wozzeck, and a vocal rehearsal for the newest installment of Wagner's Ring series. My handler Richard got into the fun of pointing out everyone and everything that we passed along the convoluted path to the audition room.

It was hard not to feel overrun by frenetic enthusiasm - just to be in the building, surrounded by glorious arias ringing through the hallways and the raw magnetism of stage props, intimidatingly large baritones, and super burly but gregarious stage hands.

The audition itself was something else. We were asked to prepare a minute-long improvisational scene as a woman at a window trying to attract the attention of men passing by. Once we met the director, he took it a step further and asked us to imagine ourselves as workers in the red light district, growing increasingly more desperate as no one stopped to "look at the wares." Epic!

As per usual, I was almost obnoxiously friendly and exhuberant while shaking Mr.Grandage's hand.... he certainly held on to it for a long time and I hooope that was a good thing. There were four girls in the room at a time, no music, no noise other than the slightly off kilter ticking of the studio clock, and a panel of three dudes (two companionably gay and well wishing, the third of questionable intent). 

They just sat there. And stared.

Since I've got some inspiring hotties in my life, I fell into the role with focus and determination. Who KNOWS what will come of it, but at least I got a fantastic core work out, had a lot of fun, and got to toss my hair around and wink at Mr. Grandage.

Cross your fingers for me!!!

Love,

A Broadway Baby

1 comment:

  1. Cool opportunity. I'm wondering what you had to do to audition to become a supernumerary.

    Thanks for any advice!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete